Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Birthday to trees

The other day was Tu'Bishvat, the birthday of the trees. It was a fun day since we got to play outside in the garden all day…although it wasn’t exactly playing, it was some strenuous work. Then, magically, it rained today!! It’s so nice that when we take the initiative, put in the work, the part that is humanly possible, G-d provides the rain.
There is such a beautiful analogy that man is a tree…roots into the ground, in this physical world, but reaching and growing towards heaven, living off sunlight and rain. Sounds like a perfect existence. Also, our actions and good deeds are like the fruits that trees give forth…I dig it…like I dug a bunch of holes to plant the new trees in our garden. We have decided to relandscape everything. One section is an herb and veggie garden, another section will be a private ourdoor classroom, the third section has roses and bushes that are pretty and my favorite section will be the rock garden. We have a ton of huge rocks and I want to build couches out of them (inspired by Ithaca’s 2nd Dam) with a fire pit in the middle for us to chill and sing around.
We’ve been really shaking and moving this place, getting involved in way too many things, but that’s just how I do. Me and an equally fanatic friend created a sustainability campaign at my school, purchasing the women mugs and plates so they don't use disposables and encouraging them to turn of lights and be conscientious about their paper towel usage. It sounds silly, but it seriously makes a big difference. In my opinion, respecting the planet is of equal importance to all the other major Torah commandments that people fervently run to do. It says in the Torah in Genesis “Guard the Earth” and so I shall do. The next phase will be based on water conservation since Israel is desperately running short.
At Mayanot, I also head the Rosh Chodesh (New Moon) Festivities, which is really special because the New Moon is a woman's holiday so I organize events that revolve around the incredibleness of women. I somehow also found myself involved in planning a festival in Zefat happening over Passover. It is a blessing over the sun festival which is a pretty tripped out event…it happens only once every 28 years. I will definitely be sending more information on it. This Sun Blessing is extraordinarily unique because only three times in history has it fallen on the 14th of Nisan (the day before Passover). Plus it’s a year after Shmita and a jovel year Plus the Mayan calendar is coming to its end Plus you can just feel it in the air, something is going down. Something crazy is about to happen. Can we just all get down on these vibes? My favorite part about the festival (besides having an all expense-paid month in my favorite town in Israel during Passover) is that the festivals other focus is on alternative solar energy.
It’s cool to sit back a see that without even trying, I have become affiliated with all that I am passionate about (playing outside, learning about life, celebrating women, blessing HaShem for all the endowments, saving the world, and basking in the sun). Sometimes we just need to sit back and let G-d show us the way versus forcing every door open with a jack….I tried that, it works but the results aren’t as gratifying.
I also wanted to add something about about the Bossi L'Gani (the theme of the previous blog entry) It’s rather good advice about love and since my room mate just got engaged, this will be in her merit. The line is “Come into my garden, my sister, my bride”. This quote is a beautiful lesson in love and relationships. It teaches that there are two important types of love that need to be present in our relationships. The love for a sister, this love is like water… constant, clear and full of endurance. The other is love for ones bride, this is fire, full of passion, fervor, excitement, and delightful. Both are equally important and must be present. And what happens when you put fire and water together…you get that extra special state of matter, vapor. Steamy……………
~Mazel Tov Devorah Malka and Aaron Lazor on your engagement. Pop those bottles~



Campaign Save the World (made on reclycled papers)
Copy by Jenna Domber and art by Chaya Laio


Devorah is going back to Australia to get married... leaving Miri and me to hold it down in room 71. Miri is awesome, besides her love of country music and being a libertarian, we have a lot in common, a shared passion for writing hip hop songs (she beat boxes and sings the R&B choruses) and staying up until 4:00 am trying to find G-d under our bed.


This is one of our gardens. We are going to paint a huge mural on the wall too.
Another Mayanot garden. I will send more pictures when things start to grow.

1 comment:

Leora said...

Jenna,
Rock on with the planting, it looks beautiful!
Leora and Yoni