Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mother {Earth} Day Tribute

To all my mothers as expressed through mother earth - the most fertile and giving mother of them all. These photographs are taken from my travels in Israel. The quotes are from Song of Songs, a beautiful love poem written by King Solomon. According to Kabbala, the secrets of creation and the healing properties of all plants are encoded in this short, sacred, erotic text.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!


Dedicated to Devorah Willaman, my foundation, my mother
ficus tree grove in She'an Valley
The beams of our houses are cedars; our corridors are cypresses. (1:17)
Dedicated to Eleanor Willaman
rose garden in Jerusalem
As a rose among the thorns, so is my beloved among the daughters. (2:2)

Dedicated to Rita Domber
sukka in the grape vinyard at Kibbutz Sde Eliyahu
Like the finest apple tree in the orchard is my lover among other young men. I sit in his delightful shade and taste his delicious fruit. (2:3)
Dedicated to Rosanne Guido
flower blooming in Tel Aviv
The blossoms have appeared in the land, the time of singing has arrived, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. (2:12)
Dedicated to Ruth Domber
fig tree in Bat Ayin
The fig trees are forming young fruit, and the fragrant grapevines are blossoming. Rise up, my darling! Come away with me, my fair one! (2:13)
Dedicated to Rebbetzin Dinah Chinn
tree in the valley of Mt. Meron
My beloved is mine, and I am his, who grazes among the roses. (2:16)
Dedicated to Rebbetzin Rivkah Marga Gestetner
date palms along the Mediterranean

Promise me, O women of Jerusalem, by the gazelles and wild deer, not to awaken love until the time is right. (3:5)
Dedicated to Lisa Domber
green at the feet of the Judaen desert
Who is this young woman coming up from the wilderness like clouds of smoke? She is perfumed with myrrh and incense made from the merchants' scented powders. (3:6)
Dedicated to Karen Willaman
flower in the Carmel forest
Thy shoots are an orchard of pomegranates, with precious fruits; Henna with spikenard plants. (4:13)
Dedicated to Sarah Zadok
sacred desert well in Kibbutz Ketura
You are a fountain of gardens, a spring of living waters, and flowing waters from Lebanon. (4:15)

Dedicated to the beautiful women at B'erot
wheat field in the Hula Valley
Awake, O north wind, and come, O south wind; blow upon my garden, that the spices thereof may flow out; let my beloved come to his garden and eat his sweet fruit. (4:16)
Dedicated to my Mayanot sisters
royal purple flower in the foothills surrounding Jerusalem
I have come into my garden, my sister, my bride; to take my myrrh with my spice; my wax with my honey; my wine with my milk. Take meat, O friends; take wine, yes, be overcome with love. (5:1)
Dedicated to Rebbetzin Chaya Levinger
vase of almond blossoms in Tzur Hadassah
His cheeks are like beds of spices, mounds of sweet-smelling herbs. His lips are lilies, dripping liquid myrrh. (5:13)
Dedicated to Rebbetzin Chana Silberstein
caper flower in the Golan Heights
I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine, who grazes among the roses. (6:3)
Dedicated to Shirley Domber
zucchini in the Bat Ayin vegetable garden
I went down to the nut garden to see the green plants of the valley, to see whether the vine had blossomed, the pomegranates were in bloom. (6:11)

Dedicated to Hellen Willaman
almond tree in Gush Etzion
Your navel is perfectly formed like a goblet filled with mixed wine. Between your thighs lies a mound of wheat bordered with lilies. (7:3)


Dedicated to blood; sisters, aunts, cousins
date tree in the Jordan Valley
I said, "I will climb the palm tree; I will take hold of its fruit." May your breasts be like the clusters of the vine, the fragrance of your breath like apples. (7:8)
Dedicated to my Garden Girls
tree orchard in Bat Ayin
Let us go early to the vineyards to see if the vines have budded, if their blossoms have opened, and if the pomegranates are in bloom--there I will give you my love. (7:12)
Dedicated to Joyce Lebowitz
etrog tree in Kfar Chabad
The pots of figs have given forth their fragrance, and on our doorways are all manner of sweet fruits, both new and old, which I have hidden away for you, my beloved. (7:14)
Dedicated to my White Oak roots
blooming the Negev desert
Who is this coming up from the desert leaning on her lover? Under the apple tree I roused you; there your mother conceived you, there she who was in labor gave you birth. (8:5)
Dedicated to the women in Ithaca
sabra cacti in the West Bank settlements
You who dwell in the gardens with friends in attendance, let me hear your voice! (8:13)

A donations was made to B'erot Bat Ayin in the name of all the women honored in this blog post. B'erot is a place where women learn to live in harmony with the land. http://www.berotbatayin.org/

No comments: