Friday, June 27, 2008

The Pilgrimage

Before arriving in Israel I will be traveling through Europe with my friend and confidante, Mademoiselle Pamela Contreras. This trip, the pregame, will be filled with exploration and Jenna attempting something new, spontaneity. All too often I get caught up in over planning. I’ve had short term plans, long term plans, 5 year plans, immediate future plans, professional plans, and life plans..all of which never came into fruition. So this trip I am trying very hard to avoid getting caught up in planning versus just going with the flow and being open to the random experiences that were destined to happen. I once heard a Yiddish expression that man plans and G-d laughs. And so it is.

Pamela and I are leaving from JFK on August 25, 2008 and flying to our first destination, Madrid, España. From there we will go south and explore Andalucía. I look forward to seeing the Jewish Quarter in Cordoba where stands a statue dedicated to Maimonides, one of the most influential Jewish philosophers of all times (he’s even regarded in both Christian and Moslem communities as a revolutionary thinker) and to see the old Synagogue, one of the last 3 remaining in Spain. From there we will hit up Seville, Granada, potentially take a ferry to Morocco and then travel up the coast to Barcelona, perhaps stopping in Valencia on the way to sun bathe. From Barcelona we fly to Pisa, Italia. Besides Florence and Cinque Terra, we are leaving our travels flexible (any advice/must-do, see, eat suggestions are welcome). Our Mediterranean tour will continue as we take a ferry to Greece where we are still undecided about which Islands to visit, although Santori is for sure. And finally after gallivanting and partaking in much narishkeit, Pamela and I will say our farewells in Athens and go our separate ways. Pamela will be returning to NYC to open her very own store, which I plan on plugging in my blog as more details become available. She and her business/life partner are opening a high-end designer sneaker retail store in the downtown area. Many blessings to them! For myself, I will be completing the last leg of my epic pilgrimage and flying into Tel Aviv, Israel just in time for the High Holy Days. Starting my sojourn in Israel on the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, seemed rather appropriate.

This is a rough map of my travel route.

No comments: